Dahi Vada (Dahi Bhalla)
1 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
1/2 inch ginger
3-4 green chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
oil for deep frying
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
4 cups of curd
3 tbsps sugar
water to soak vadas
1) Soak the urad dal in water for 5-6 hours. I soaked it overnight.
2) Drain the dal and grind it along with green chillies and ginger to form a smooth paste.
3) Add salt and mix well. The batter should become light and a little fluffy.
4) Heat oil on a slow flame and once the oil becomes hot drop spoonfuls of the above batter into it.
5) Deep fry the vadas till they become golden brown in color on the slow flame so they cook well from inside.
6) Drain the vadas on the kitchen paper and keep them aside.
7) Now whisk the curd with sugar to sweeten it. Adjust the sugar quantity to match your taste.
8) Before serving soak the vadas in plain water for about 15 mins.
9) Just before serving remove the soaked vadas squeeze them to remove excess water.
10) Arrange the vadas in serving dish and top it with the whisked sweetened curd.
11) Garnish with cumin powder and red chilli powder.