Garlic knots is an Italian appetizer and is made from pizza dough. It is nothing but knots made from stips of pizza dough which are baked and topped with butter and garlic parsley mixture. It can be served warm as a snack.
After searching the internet for the recipes I settled for the Garlic Knots from Simply Recipes
I have modified the original recipe and below is my version of the same.
Garlic Knots - before baking
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cooking oil (I have used both sunflower and canola at different times)
salt as per taste (1 tsp)
3 tbsp crushed garlic
1/4 cup parsley
7 tbsp unsalted butter (if using salted check the salt used in making dough)
1 cup warm water
1) Mix all purpose flour, instant yeast and salt together.
2) Now add warm water (I warmed the water in the microwave for about 30 sec) to it slowly and knead to make a soft dough. Do not add all the water at the same time. Add just enough to knead the dough. Add cooking oil while kneading the dough
3) Let the dough sit in a warm place till it doubles in size. It can take anything between 1 -3 hours.
4) When the dough is ready, line the baking sheet with parchment paper and keep it aside.
5) Now on cutting board or any flat surface take half of the dough and flatten it to form a rectangle about 5 inches in length and 1/2 inch thick.
6) With the help of a sharp knife, make strips of it and now tie it like a knot. If the dough is sticky along the edges dust it with flour. Repeat the same process with the remaining dough.
7) Place each knots on the baking sheet, and leave some space in between. The dough will continue to rise and also it will rise during baking. Leave it aside to rise. This may take anything between 1 to 3 hours.
8) When the knots are ready, preheat the oven to 200 C for 10 minutes.
9) Now apply some oil on the top of the knots and place them in the oven and bake it for 10 to 15 mins, till they are browned on the top.
10) In the meantime, in a skillet melt butter, add crushed garlic, parsley and salt(if using unsalted butter) and cook till the raw garlic smell goes away.
11) When done, remove the garlic knots from the oven and let them cool a little.
12) Now brush the knots with the garlic-parsley mixture and serve warm.
1) You can sprinkle pepper powder as well on the top of each knots after brushing with the garlic parsley mixture.
2) If you love spicy food you can add chili flakes to the garlic parsley mixture while cooking and use the mixture to brush the knots.
3) I have also made this recipe giving different shapes as well.