Okra Fry (Bhendi Fry / Bhindi Fry)
Here I have made it spicy but you can adjust as per your taste and I sure you will love it.
1/2 kg Okra (Lady fingers /Bhindi/Bhendi) chopped lengthwise in 4 parts
1/2 tsp cumin(jeera) powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
8 tbsps cooking oil
2 tsp chili powder
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 Garcinia indica (kokum/amasula)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
salt to taste
1) Wash and pat dry okra (bhindi / lady fingers). I wash them and lay it on a clean cloth for about 1/2 an hour for drying.
2) Cut the ladyfingers into 2 or 4 parts lengthwise. I generally prefer buying the small size okra (lady fingers/ bhindi) for this recipe.
3) In a bowl add chopped lady fingers, powdered ingredients(cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder) along with finely chopped garlic and mix well so that the masala gets applied evenly to the lady fingers.
4) In a frying pan, add oil and once it becomes hot add the above mixture.
5) Fry for a while and add Garcinia indica (kokum/amasula). This is mainly added to remove the stickiness of the lady fingers.
6) Continue frying till they turn a little crisp. Then add chopped cilantro leaves and remove from heat.
7) Serve as a starter or with chapati (or any Indian bread) or with rice as a side dish.