Aloo Palak (Potato - Spinach Curry)
Aloo Palak is a Punjabi dish which is made using spinach and potatoes. Spinach or Palak is one of my favourites when it comes to leafy vegetables. Though I am not a big fan of potatoes, this combination is something which I love to have with chapatis.
There is also another way in which Aloo Palak can be made, similar to Aloo Methi which is dry in nature, without gravy. I personally prefer and love Aloo Palak with gravy. The recipe is pretty simple and easy to make.
3 potatoes boiled
3 cups chopped spinach (palak)
1 onion finely chopped
4 green chillies
2 garlic cloves chopped finely
1/2 tsp cumin (jeera) powder
3 tsp oil
2-3 cups (depending on the thickness of gravy required)
salt as per taste
1) Wash the spinach in running water and chop them and keep them aside.
2) Cut the boiled potatoes into small cubes. Click here for tips to boil potatoes.
3) Cut the tomato into small pieces.
4) Now in a pan or skillet heat about 1 tsp oil on medium heat and fry chopped spinach with green chillies.
5) Cool the spinach and green chillies and then grind them to form fine paste. Add some water while grinding.
6) Heat the remaining oil and fry the onions till light brown. Add finely chopped garlic cloves and fry them for a while
7) Now add chopped tomatoes and fry them till they become soft.
8) Add cumin powder, boiled potatoes and mix well.
9) Finally add the spinach and green chillies paste and some water as per you need.
10) Let the entire mixture cook on a medium heat for about 7-10 minutes.
11) Serve hot with roti, chapati, naan or any Indian bread. You can also serve with plain rice.