I had made this Dahi Bhindi few months back while I was in Hyderabad. The recipe for Dahi Bhindi was lying the drafts since then which I thought I should post before I forget again.
Dahi Bhindi is easy to make, simple and goes well with hot phulkas or chapati or simple plain rice as well. Addition of tomatoes gives a nice tangy taste. The okra is fried which removes the sliminess and these fried okra are then added to the spiced yogurt mixture.
3 cups bhindi / okra (cut the okra into 1 inch pieces lengthwise and slit in middle)
1 medium onion chopped finely
2 chopped tomato
1 tsp ginger – garlic paste
3/4 tsp red chili powder (I used the Everest Tikkalal)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
2 tbsp oil
1 cup whisked yogurt / curd
chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
salt as per taste
3 cups water
oil for deep fry
1) In a kadai add oil for deep frying and when it gets hot on medium heat, fry the chopped okra / bhindi so that they turn a little brown.
2) Drain the fried okra on absorbent paper.
3) Now heat 2 tbsp oil and when it becomes hot fry the chopped onion till it turns brown.
4) Add ginger garlic paste and saute for while.
5) Add turmeric and red chili powder and mix well.
6) Add the chopped tomatoes and mix them.
7) Add coriander – cumin powder and mix it.
8) Once the tomatoes become mushy add fried okra / bhindi and mix so that they are coated with the mixture. Add whisked yogurt and water and let it cook.
9) Remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander.
10) Serve hot with chapati or with steamed rice or jeera rice.
Amazon Auto Links: the template could not be found. Try reselecting the template in the unit option page.