Sago Potato Papads / Feni as it is called in marathi, is very easy to make and can be made at home. We generally buy papads or feni from the market.
The steps involved are very simple, just ensure you dry in hot sun. These are generally made during the summer season. Here in South Africa I have a nice gallery and ample of sun. So I wanted to try out some sun dried items, hence I made these.
These papads/fenis can stay for about an year or so. It can be served as a nice side dish, all you need to do is deep fry in oil.
3 boiled potatoes grated
2 cups sabudana (sago/tapioca ) (choose the smaller variety)
4 cups water for soaking
6 cups water for cooking
2 tsp red chilli powder
salt as per taste
1/2 cup oil
Servings Makes about 35-40 papads/feni as per size
1) Soak the sabudana/sago overnight in 4 cups of water
2) Boil the potatoes and peel and grate them.
3) In a wok, add 6 cups of water, the soaked sabudana / sago.
4) Let it cook for 2 mins, keep stirring, add salt, red chilli powder.
5) Add the grated potatoes and mix well, keep cooking till the mixture becomes transparent.
6) Now spread a plastic sheet in your balcony or backyard, where you can get ample of sunlight.
7) Apply oil on the sheet and spread the mixture over it for drying.
8) You need to spread the mixture fast, while it is still little hot. As the mixture cools it will become thick and will be difficult to spread.
9) After 4 – 5 hours, flip the papads so that the lower side now faces the sun.
10) It will dry up in 2 days. If you think they are still moist, dry them more.
11) After they are completely dried, you can store them for months.
12) Whenever needed you need to fry them in oil and it serves as a nice side dish.
Addition of grated potatoes is optional. But it gives a nice taste.
Also you can add black pepper powder or jeera (cumin) powder instead of red chilli powder.
Instead of potato, you can add tomato puree while cooking the sabudana to make sabudana – tomato papad.
Amazon Auto Links: the template could not be found. Try reselecting the template in the unit option page.