Sev / Shev (Namkeen) is a crispy snack made from chickpea flour. It is mainly prepared during Diwali as a snack item. This is a spicy version, you can also make it without the red chilli powder. Sev can also be served as a main item or can also be an ingredient in another dish.
2 cups besan (chickpea flour)
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp corriander(dhania) powder
3 tbsp hot oil
salt as required
water as required for kneading
oil for frying
1) Mix chickpea flour, red chilli powder, corriander powder,salt and hot oil together well.
2) Now add water slowly to the above mixture and knead chapati like dough. The dough should not be too loose or stiff. Leave the dough to rest for about 15- 20 mins.
3) Heat oil on medium flame.
4) Add the dough to the chakali/murukku maker and use the thinnest multiple holed disc. Press the dough into the chakali maker and close tightly.
5) Heat oil on medium flame and when the oil is hot, hold the chakali maker above the kadai or wok and press out thin strands into the hot oil. As the strands fall in the oil, move the chakali maker in a circular manner like a jalebi. Cut of the strands from the chakali maker when you have enough in the kadai to fry.
6) Deep fry from both the side till they are little brown and once they are done remove them from oil and drain on a paper towel.
1) Adjust the taste of chilli powder as you need.
2) Add garlic powder to the dough to make garlic sev.
3) Alternatively you can also add palak pudina puree to make palak pudina sev.
Amazon Auto Links: the template could not be found. Try reselecting the template in the unit option page.