2 coconuts (medium size) freshly grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 small green chillies
10 - 15 kokum / Amsule (Garcinia Indica) or 6 tbsp of kokum aagal (extract of kokum)
water as needed for grinding
chopped coriander leaves as needed
1 cup water for soaking kokum/amsule
salt as per taste
1) Grind the freshly grated coconuts with cumin seeds, green chillies and water in a grinder.
2) Extract the coconut milk by passing it through a strainer. More coconut milk can be extracted by repeating the process.
3) In a cup of hot water add the kokum/ amsule and soak them for 1/2 hour. Now extract the jiuce and pass it through a strainer.
4) Now add the kokum extract to the coconut milk.
5) Add chopped coriander leaves and salt.
6) Serve at room temperature with rice or serve chilled after meals.
1) You can use kokum / Amsule or ready made Kokum Aagal (kokum extract) which is available in market.
2) Instead of freshly grated coconut milk you can also make use of ready made coconut milk.
3) If you do not have time to soak the kokum, you can directly add it to the coconut milk and leave it for about 45 minutes and then remove them.